background

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

"Pin"spiration

Lately I have been on a diet kick, trying to shed some pounds before my wedding in September. I am one that can get bored with things easy; so by week three I am done with steam veggies! I was surfing Pinterest last night looking for a new way to do veggies and I was intrigued by the broccoli fritters and broccoli bites I was finding. Most of the recipes were similar to each other and similar to a meat ball recipe. The broccoli in this case was like the ground meat. Below is the recipe I created for Broccoli Cakes:

Broccoli Cakes
2 c. Steam Broccoli, chopped small
1/2 c. Bread Crumbs
3 Eggs
1/3 c. Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese 
Seasoning of choice (or use flavored bread crumbs)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl, making sure to incorporate all ingredients evenly. Should be a similar consistency to meat balls and should hold together when you form a ball. Then for patties about the width of your palm and 1.5-2 inches thick. Place patties on parchment lines baking sheet. Cook for 25 minutes. After 15 minutes flip and add a small sprinkle of extra cheese on each, if desired. Then cook for the remaining 10 minutes. 

These little guys were the perfect addition to our steak and sweet potatoes!
A little side note, if you don't keep bread crumbs on hand (who does?) just crush up some crackers, or croutons. I had a new package of garlic croutons and it gave the cakes great flavor! I used my Tupperware Smooth Chopper to process the croutons. It took like 10 seconds to have fresh breadcrumbs! 

What other recipes do you know of that can change up veggies in a fun way? I saw cauliflower tots and might try those soon too! Enjoy!

Amy Marie



No comments:

Post a Comment